Samstag, 4. Januar 2014

Paragraph on Irish culture

                                        The Story of Ireland

The most fascinating aspect of Irish culture that I learned about by watching the Story of Ireland was the violence the Irish people had to suffer during the 17th century. Throughout this period of Irish culture various forms of punishment were used on Irish people who were eager to rebel. For instance, at the end of 17th century, the English imposed harsh Penal Laws against the Irish Catholics. These new laws made it hard for them to buy land, engage in trade, receive education and even impossible to vote or get a government job. Apart from this, in rebellions, sieges and wars, the Irish people were victims of the most brutal crimes. They were flogged, hanged, forced out of their homes and their properties were often burnt. The military leader Oliver Cromwell even used to beat people in order to save his bullets. For a sensitive person like me, these facts were extremely schocking and made me think about the human strenght.

[162 words]

After we got our third piece of homework back, I was pretty satisfied with what I've done. Surprisingly, it was a great deal better than my previous tasks. I had some unneeded mistakes concerning wrong collocations and register, so as to avoid this, I will focus on that in my further learning. But on top of this, I am improving, so I need to keep up the hard work! 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen